Monday, June 11, 2007

Poetry Slams: A Casualty of Katrina

When I was living in Baltimore, the year before I came back to the midwest, god bless it, for law school, I read in poetry slams maybe once or twice a month. You know: "roses are red, violets are blue, I'm angsty and lonely, symbolism about this and that, Che Gueverra," the usual. I haven't read much this last school year, but having some extra time on weekends, I decided to seek out some slams.

Oddly, it turns out that, while New Orleans did have a slam poetry scene before Katrina, that scene left with the storm. Many of those interested in slam poetry left. Many of the venues, such as the Dragon's Den, which would host slams got shut down and are just reopening, if they are reopening at all. I went to 3 or 4 venues and searched the internet for a long time and couldn't find a slam, nor could anyone point me to one.

This just goes to show how many of New Orleans' niches were affected by Katrina. Even the poetry left.

No comments: